Home / Entertainment / USC, Yale University among colleges sued by students over college admissions scandal

USC, Yale University among colleges sued by students over college admissions scandal

March 14, 20192:13 pm
Updated:March 14, 20192:14 pm

WATCH ABOVE:Dozens of prominent people have been charged in a massive college admissions scandal.

SAN FRANCISCO — Two college students have filed a lawsuit against the University of Southern California, Yale University and other colleges where prosecutors have accused rich and famous parents of paying bribes to ensure their children’s admission.

The lawsuit was filed Wednesday in federal court in San Francisco and alleges the students were denied a fair opportunity for admission.

WATCH:Felicity Huffman, Lori Loughlin indicted in alleged Ivy League college admissions scheme

Erica Olsen and Kalea Woods claimed they were denied a fair opportunity to apply to Yale and USC. The lawsuit also named the University of California, Los Angeles, Wake Forest University, the University of San Diego, the University of Texas at Austin, Georgetown University and Stanford University.

The alleged scheme gave unqualified students admission to highly selective universities, said the plaintiffs, who are both currently students at Stanford.

“Each of the universities took the students’ admission application fees while failing to take adequate steps to ensure that their admissions process was fair and free of fraud, bribery, cheating and dishonesty,” the plaintiffs said in the lawsuit.

READ MORE: Lori Loughlin’s daughter on USC chairman’s yacht when college scandal broke

Charges were announced earlier this week against 50 people, including coaches and dozens of parents, in a scheme where prosecutors have said wealthy parents paid to rig standardized scores and bribed sports coaches to get their children into elite universities.

The colleges named have cast themselves as victims of the scheme, and have moved to distance themselves from the coaches accused of involvement.

“We understand that the government believes that illegal activity was carried out by individuals who went to great lengths to conceal their actions from the university,” USC officials said in a statement earlier this week.

Yale officials said earlier this week they were cooperating with the investigation.

“As the indictment makes clear, the Department of Justice believes that Yale has been the victim of a crime perpetrated by its former women’s soccer coach,” Yale spokesman Tom Conroy said.

© 2019 The Canadian Press


Credit belongs to : www.globalnews.ca

index.php

Kyline relates unforgettable first Big Apple experience

By LHAR SANTIAGO May 24, 2019 PLUS: Herbert Bautista to go back to showbiz after …