April 25, 2019
The Makati City government on Wednesday asked residents whose houses sit on top of the West Valley Fault to relocate.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology had said the West Valley Fault might trigger a 7.2-magnitude earthquake that could kill around 30,000 people.
The West Valley Fault passes through 42 villages in Metro Manila, including the country’s financial and business capital.
The Makati Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office said the fault in Makati transects four barangay (villages) — Comembo, East Rembo, Pembo and Rizal.
During the last assessment of the city government, there were 113 lots in Barangay East Rembo tagged within the danger zone, 99 lots in Barangay Rizal, 93 in Barangay Pembo and 8 in Barangay Comembo.
Mayor Mar-Len Abigail “Abby” Binay previously said there would be no forced eviction for residents who would refuse to relocate. However, they would be asked to sign waivers stating that they accept the risks and that they expect no assistance from the city government.
Residents who would relocate under the supervision of the city government would be given financial assistance.
The city engineering office had declared safe for occupancy 95 city-run, residential and high-rise commercial buildings in Makati City, following the 6.1-magnitude quake that hit Luzon on Monday.
“The city government has been conducting annual earthquake drills and building inspections in preparation for ‘The Big One,’” Binay said.
She called on building administrators to coordinate with the Office of the Building Official to schedule inspections of their buildings, which she said could be done jointly with their own team of experts.
So far, 113 buildings have been inspected: 67 public facilities, including all public elementary and high schools, the University of Makati, Ospital ng Makati and the three City Hall buildings; and 46 private buildings
Of these, 18 health centers were subjected to further evaluation by city engineers.
Credit belongs to : www.manilatimes.net