Saturday , September 21 2019
Home / Business / Swine, cattle supply enough for market

Swine, cattle supply enough for market

May 22, 2019

The country’s production of hogs and cattle rose significantly in the first quarter of the year, indicating sufficient supply for the domestic market.

Based on the latest data from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), local hog production grew by 1.6 percent to 567,420 metric tons (MT), while cattle population was up by 0.1 percent to 61,310 MT in January to March.

In its “Swine Situation Report,” the PSA said Soccsksargen (South Cotabato, Cotabato, Sultan Kudarat and Sarangani provinces, and General Santos City, or Region 12) recorded the highest production growth of 9.3 percent to 31,080 MT.

Central Luzon posted the biggest output at 111,600 MT during the period, followed by Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon) and Northern Mindanao with 92,270 MT and 50,260 MT, respectively. The three regions accounted for 44.9 percent of the country’s total hog production.

Total swine inventory as of April 1 was estimated at 12.73 million heads slightly lower than last year’s 12.75 million heads.

“Population of swine in backyard farms at 8.06 million heads contracted by 1.0 percent from the previous year’s head count of 8.14 million heads. On the other hand, stocks in commercial farms at 4.67 million heads expanded by 1.2 percent from the 2018 level of 4.61 million heads,” PSA said.

Average farmgate price of live hogs in the first three months of 2019 fell by 2.7 percent to P110.52 per kilo from P113.56 per kilo in 2018. “During the first quarter of 2019, the highest average farmgate price was recorded in February at P111.20 per kilogram, liveweight. The lowest price was noted in March at P109.76 per kilogram, liveweight,” PSA said.

Meanwhile, cattle production reached 61, 310 MT during the period from 61.260 MT a year earlier, PSA said in its “Cattle Situation Report”

Nine regions posted growth in production. “The highest increment in production was reported in Northern Mindanao, from 9,807 metric tons, liveweight in 2018 to 10,027 metric tons, liveweight in 2019,” PSA said.

From January to March, Northern Mindanao topped production at 10,027 MT. This was followed by Ilocos Region and Central Visayas with 6,990 MT and 6,074 MT, respectively. These regions contributed 37.7 percent to the total local cattle output.

As of the start of April,, the country’s total inventory of cattle was at 2.54 million heads, down 0.7 percent from previous year’s 2.55 million heads.

“The inventory of cows as of April 1 was estimated at 1.10 million heads. This accounted for 43.4 percent of the total cattle stocks, while the remaining 56.6 percent were contributed by heifer, yearling, bulls, and others (castrated and ready to breed bulls),” PSA said.

The average farmgate price of cattle during the first quarter rose by 3.3 percent to P108.50 per kilo from P105.07 per kilo last year.

Credit belongs to : www.manilatimes.net

index.php

Walmart to quit selling e-cigarettes amid vaping backlash

In this Sept. 3, 2019 file photo, a Walmart logo is displayed outside of a …