MANILA – Members of the clergy on Friday welcomed the decision of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) to allow religious gatherings at 10-percent seating capacity in areas under the general community quarantine (GCQ).
Apostolic Administrator of the Archdiocese of Manila Bishop Broderick Pabillo said the decision of the government to allow more people inside churches is a welcome development.
“This is a good development. There is a big difference between 10 persons and 10 percent,” he said in a text message.
Cubao Bishop Honesto Ongtioco, meanwhile, said the move is a good start for the reopening of churches.
“This is a good sign. We follow the government protocol in helping prevent the spread of coronavirus. i.e. physical distancing, taking the temperature of people before entering the Church, etcetera,” he added.
Meanwhile, Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception otherwise known as Manila Cathedral rector, Fr. Reginald Malicdem, thanked the Lord over this development.
“I have not yet seen the news. But if this is true, then salamat sa Diyos! (Thank you, Lord!),” he said.
He, however, added that they will wait for instructions from Pabillo regarding the opening of the church.
The new rule on religious gatherings is stated in IATF Resolution No. 51 and will take effect on July 10.
Last month, the task force authorized religious services at 50 percent seating capacity in places under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).
Previously, religious activities are allowed to a maximum of 10 persons. (PNA)
Credit belongs to : www.pna.gov.ph