Five Abu Sayyaf members were killed and two soldiers were wounded when government forces clashed with the Islamic militant group in Roseller Lim town, Zamboanga Sibugay, earlier today, the military said.
Members of the 44th Infantry Battalion and Zamboanga Sibugay police encountered about 10 militants in Sitio Limuno, Brgy. President Roxas, around 2 a.m., according to a report from the Army’s 1st Infantry Division.
A 30-minute clash ensued, before the militants withdrew, the report said.
Aside from fatalities, the clash also resulted in the recovery of three M16 rifles and an M14 rifle.
The two wounded soldiers have been airlifted to Camp Navarro General Hospital in Zamboanga City for treatment and are in stable condition.
Lt. Col. Don Templonuevo, 44th IB commander, said soldiers and policemen were then pursuing the group led by Abu Sayyaf sub-commander Furuji Indama which they also clashed with in Alicia town last Sunday.
Indama’s group is reportedly planning to conduct kidnappings in the region, said Brig. Gen. Leonel Nicolas, 102nd Infantry Brigade commander.
In October 2019, Abu Sayyaf members kidnapped British businessman Allan Hyrons and his Filipina wife Wilma at their beach resort in Tukuran, Zamboanga del Sur.
The couple was rescued a month later in the hinterlands of Parang, Sulu, following deadly clashes between soldiers and militants.
What makes the Remulla brothers tick?
15 mins ago
September 9, 2020 08:21 PM
One is outrageously funny while the other looks so serious as a heart attack.
But did you know that brothers Jesus Crispin (representative of the 7th district of Cavite) and Jonvic Remulla (Cavite governor) have a description for each other that is far different from what they project in public?
“Si Jonvic, seryoso talaga iyan,” Crispin said of his brother during the Daily Tribune’s digital show Pairfect aired Wednesday on Facebook and YouTube.
Crispin has apparently disputed the public’s perception of his younger brother who always jokes around and full of fun.
The governor of Cavite, who is being followed religiously by his constituents and fans in social media, has 1.8 million followers on Facebook. His posts, most of the time, done in a fun and witty way, are often shared, liked, or “hearted.” Even his announcements on most serious events or happenings would never sound bleak or daunting.
But for Crispin, his younger brother is surprisingly “really serious” about everything, including, of course, his job as a governor.
Jonvic did not contradict his brother’s view of him. But the governor insisted that he really is “maloko.”
“Ako talaga puro kalokohan and nasa isip ko. Since I was a kid, lahat ng kalokohan ay ginagawa ko,” he said.
And the governor was so proud when he told Pairfect that he is soft hearted, far different from what the public perceives him.
The congressman had been a subject of multiple bashing in social media when he stirred the campaign, so to speak, at the House of Representatives not to renew the franchise of network giant ABS-CBN.
“Si kuya pusong mamom talaga yan,” Jonvic said.
He also described him as the most intellectual among the Remulla siblings.
“Sa aming magkakapatid he is alyways a technocrat; siya yung intellectual,” he added.
Below is a portion of the Pairfect interview with Remulla brothers:
PAIRFECT: Yung father nyo po, si Juanito Remulla, served Cavite for many years as governor. Can you tell us what it is like growing up when your father was in government helping the public, helping the people?
JONVIC: Actually I was very young. I was 11 when he became the governor. He let my mother take care of us. Boying was a father figure of our family because he was much older. He was 16 when my father became governor so madalas siya na lang ang sumusubaybay sa amin pero maaga nag-asawa yan eh.
PAIRFECT: Nagkakahugutan na (laughs) totoo po ba iyon?
BOYING: Oo, maaga. Actually I had a very busy life for my school days. I was always engaged with activities and all kinds of activities over there: computer, sports, kung ano nandyan. Actually I was always doing something. I’ve joined in and be part of this action kasi naman we should go home, wala naman kaming gagawin masyado roon. Marami kami and masikip yung bahay. Mas maganda marami kaming ginagawa sa labas.
PAIRFECT: Did you ever think that you will be in government young as you were during that time that someday I will be like my father.
BOYING: Yes, I really thought that I will be in government, that will be my direction. I really wanted to become a lawyer first and foremost which happened in 1988 when I passed the bar exam
JONVIC: Ako I never thought that I will be here kasi lahat ng mga kapatid ko matatalino. Ako ang pinakabobo sa amin. Yung grades ko pinakamababa lagi; tamad ako. Parang I was the last person to be figured to go in government service.
Cesar Mancao named cybercrime center chief
15 mins ago
September 9, 2020 08:21 PM
Former police officer Cezar Mancao II, who was embroiled in the high-profile Kuratong Baleleng and Dacer-Corbito cases, has been appointed as chief of the Cybercrime Investigation and Coordination Center (CICC).
In a statement, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque confirmed Mancao’s appointment as he expressed confidence that the latter’s “professional credentials would contribute to cybercrime prevention in the country.”
“We wish him good luck in his new assignment,” Roque said.
CICC is an attached agency of the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) that is tasked to coordinate anti-cybercrime efforts among law enforcement agencies.
Mancao was a former official of the now-defunct Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Task Force and a member of the Philippine Military Academy Class of 1986.
He was among those charged for the twin killings of Salvador “Bubby” Dacer and driver Emmanuel Corbito in November 2000.
He escaped from the National Bureau of Investigation in 2013 but later surrendered to the Philippine National Police in 2017.
At that time, he complained that all of his co-accused, including Senator Panfilo Lacson, has been cleared of murder charges while he was in detention.
Pope sports a face mask for the first time in public
18 mins ago
September 9, 2020 08:18 PM
Before Wednesday, the pope he has never appeared in public wearing a mask and had continued to receive some visitors in the Apostolic Palace. (Yahoo)
Pope Francis was seen Wednesday for the first time wearing a protective face mask as he attended his second traditional general audience before a limited public presence after a six-month suspension.
The pontiff — known for a fondness for close personal contact — however quickly removed the mask as he emerged from the car carrying him to the audience, which was suspended in February over the coronavirus pandemic.
But he shunned his usual practice of shaking hands and kissing babies as some 500 faithful filled a courtyard at the Apostolic Palace inside the Vatican.
At his second meeting since suspending general audiences on February 26, the crowd thronged behind a barrier and some even lowered their masks to greet the leader of the Roman Catholic Church.
The pope shook hands with prelates attending the audience and, smiling, then turned to the crowd, urging them not to shake hands and to return to their seats in order to “avoid contagion”.
Francis focused on the socio-economic impact of the pandemic which he said was “without barriers”.
He advocated a society in which people should have more solidarity with their neighbors.
Pope Francis, whose birth name is Jorge Bergoglio, has shown little fear for his health since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic early this year.
Before Wednesday he had never appeared with a mask and had continued to receive visitors within the Apostolic Palace — albeit fewer groups than before.
Last Thursday he shook hands with a group of French actors committed to defending the environment. The group was exempted from wearing face masks and included the actress Juliette Binoche.
The 83-year-old pontiff found it difficult to wear a mask that restricted his breathing, a member of his entourage said Wednesday.
When he was 21 Jorge Bergoglio suffered from acute pleurisy and surgeons removed part of his right lung, according to his biographer Austen Ivereigh.
This forced him to give up his dream of becoming a Jesuit missionary in Japan and he also had to give up playing football.
EU-China video call to replace mega summit
39 mins ago
September 9, 2020 07:58 PM
Chinese President Xi Jinping will meet German Chancellor Angela Merkel and top EU officials by video link Monday, officials said, replacing a planned major summit due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The summit was meant to be one of the landmark events of Germany’s six-month presidency of the EU, with the bloc’s 27 leaders set to meet their Chinese counterpart in Leipzig.
But the virus threw those plans into disarray, with the meeting switched to a video call involving Xi, Merkel, EU Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen, and EU Council President Charles Michel.
EU-China relations are complicated with Beijing seen as privileging bilateral ties with European member states — notably through its “Belt and Road” investment plan — instead of dealing with the bloc as a whole.
Eager to attract investment, countries such as Greece, Portugal, and Italy have openly embraced Belt and Road, vexing Brussels and many EU partners.
Brussels’ attitude to China has sharpened in recent years with the EU officially designating Beijing as both a potential partner and a “systemic rival”.
The European Union is China’s biggest trading partner and China is the bloc’s second biggest, though there are growing calls in Europe to reduce the continent’s deep dependence on Chinese manufacturing.
Negotiating on behalf of the 27 member states, the European Commission has meanwhile failed to finalize a long-negotiated investment pact that China insists can be done by the end of the year.
The EU has also teamed up with Japan and the US to draw up new ways to bring China to heel at the World Trade Organization for overproducing steel because of huge state subsidies.
UAAP bans Ayo over ‘Sorsogon bubble’
2 hours ago
September 9, 2020 06:45 PM
The University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) has slapped former UST head coach Aldin Ayo with an indefinite ban following his role in the controversial “Sorsogon bubble”.
UAAP Board of Trustees (BOT) has ratified the recommendation of the Board of Managing Directors (BMD) to ban the embattled coach from participating, in any capacity, in all league events until further notice.
“The recommendations were based on the report submitted by UST which investigated the alleged training bubble of its basketball team in Capuy, Sorsogon,” UAAP said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon.
“After thorough deliberation, the UAAP BOT ratified the decision of the BMD to ban coach Aldin Ayo indefinitely from participating, in any capacity, in all UAAP events and UAAP sanctioned-activities.”
The ban was based on the report submitted by the school that showed Ayo put the lives of his players in danger when he brought the Tigers to a secret training camp in Bicol at the h of nationwide community quarantine.
Meanwhile, UAAP recognizes the separate investigations being done by the Commission on Higher Education and other government bodies such as the Department of Justice (DOJ).
“The UAAP notes that the Commission on Higher Education will conduct an investigation on possible violations by UST and other individuals who may also be liable in the conduct of the activity,” the statement read.
“The association will follow these developments before discussing the next action on the case.”
Leo Martinez vs Vivian Velez: ‘She refuses to give what is legitimately due me’
2 hours ago
September 9, 2020 06:31 PM
Lawyers of retired Film Academy of the Philippines (FAP) director general Leo Martinez have sent his successor, Vivian Velez, a letter refuting her reasons for blocking the release of his retirement pay.
“She simply refuses to give what is legitimately due me. Maybe you can ask her why she’s doing this,” Martinez, a respected theater-film-TV actor, told Daily Tribune.
Martinez served FAP for 16 years before retiring on 31 October 2019.
According to documents obtained by other online news sites, Martinez was entitled to retirement benefits amounting to P1,052,777.67. Half of the amount was released in October 2019.
Velez succeeded Martinez as FAP director general on 5 November 2019.
Among the reasons Velez cited for blocking the release of the balance was the “questionable” approval of the total amount by individuals in the private sector.
“Those individuals are the members of the board,” said Martinez.
The FAP was founded in 1981 via Executive Order 640-A to serve as the umbrella organization of various guilds of the Philippine film industry.
Tighter socializing rules in England after virus spike
2 hours ago
September 9, 2020 06:16 PM
The UK government is trying to get the economy moving again after nearly three months of lockdown imposed in late March (AFP)
The UK government on Wednesday sets out tighter rules on social gatherings to curb the spread of the coronavirus, with concern mounting at rising infection rates among the young.
The law in England will change from next week to reduce the number of people who can gather socially from 30 to six, with some exemptions.
A new public information campaign was also launched to emphasize the importance of hand washing, the use of face coverings, and maintaining social distancing.
“We need to act now to stop the virus spreading,” Prime Minister Boris Johnson said in comments before an expected news conference later Wednesday.
More than 41,500 people confirmed to have coronavirus have died in Britain, the worst toll in Europe.
The death rate has now fallen to its lowest level since mid-March.
But as in other parts of Europe, cases are increasing, with almost 3,000 daily infections reported in recent days, and concern the outbreak is slipping out of control.
Johnson’s office said medical and scientific advisers had agreed that “urgent action is needed”, while police had also asked for the rules to be simplified.
Current guidelines stipulate that people must not socialize outside in a group of more than six people from different households.
But the law actually puts that limit at 30 in private spaces.
From Monday, this will be reduced to six, except for large families, weddings, funerals, organized team sports, workplaces, and educational settings.
Health Secretary Matt Hancock told Sky News television in an interview: “Abiding by these rules is absolutely vital to protect life.
“We’ve seen the increase in the number of cases, sadly, in the last few days. We’ve seen that across Europe, there’s a second wave that many countries have experienced.”
The UK government, which controls health policy in England, imposed tougher restrictions on Bolton, near the northwest city of Manchester, after a “very significant rise” in cases.
Bolton was found to have 120 cases per 100,000 people — the highest in the country.
Hancock told parliament on Tuesday contact tracing data had shown this was “partly due to socializing by people in their 20s and 30s”.
A number of pubs were identified as hotspots, and curbs were put on opening hours of hospitality venues, and locals were banned from socializing with people outside their household.
The latest targeted local restrictions follow similar action in Caerphilly, South Wales, and East Dunbartonshire and Renfrewshire, in the west of Scotland.
The developments come as the UK government is trying to get the economy moving again after nearly three months of lockdown imposed in late March.
It has encouraged people to go back to work and use a government-subsidized restaurant scheme to boost revenues for eateries hit hard by the shutdown.
Critics say such measures have only exacerbated infection rates as young people in particular head out to pubs with scant regard for social distancing.
Hancock warned that although younger people were less likely to develop serious forms of Covid-19, they could easily pass it to those more vulnerable, particularly the elderly.
‘Old Spice’ ad gets thumbs up for fun, outrageous visuals
3 hours ago
September 9, 2020 05:56 PM
Old Spice commercials have always been known for its outrageously comical visuals, and once again, it did not disappoint.
It is so powerful that it can sell even being surrounded by ninjas. Too powerful that it can run from a meteorite, explode a planet, and still breathe in space. It leaves a death-defying smell to a man — The Smell That Never Dies in a can called Old Spice.
The men’s antiperspirant brand is back with its new campaign #TheSmellThatNeverDies.
Old Spice serves with the much-needed breath of fresh manly man entertainment — a commercial made in the Philippines for Filipino men who deserve nothing less.
The action-packed video features an all-Filipino cast led by actor Victor Silayan as the ultimate action hero who never dies, thanks to his Old Spice superpowers of irresistible long-lasting smell.
The ad shows him getting a thumbs up from sharks in the dark depths of the sea, with twin anacondas wrapped around his pecs, ninjas, and more.
Ridiculously funny is an understatement for Frenchie Dy’s appearances, as she pops up in the most random places as the singer behind the clever and captivating song.
Staying at home ain’t an excuse for not staying fresh! If body odor can kill, then the long-lasting smell of Old Spice’s Body Spray is man’s key to immortality. Get your manly man legs moving and spray on some of #TheSmellThatNeverDies. Your body, family, and the Old Spice team will thank and love you!
Eastern Visayas crime rate drops
3 hours ago
September 9, 2020 05:32 PM
PALO, Leyte – Crime volume in Eastern Visayas from January to August this year dropped by 15 percent, according to the records of the Police Regional Office 8 (PRO 8).
The Regional Investigation and Detective Management Division (RIDMD) recorded 5,572 crime incidents from 1 January to 28 August 2020, a 15.01 percent lower than last year’s 6,768 incidents covering the same period.
PNP regional director Police Brig. Gen. Bernabe Balba expressed elation over the decreased crime rate in the region.
“This means that our police force is making its utmost efforts to be effective in crime prevention as they are risking their lives in the frontlines,” he said.
Records show a huge decline in the number of crimes against persons such as murder, physical injury, and rape from 1,474 to 921 incidents, or a 37.52 % decrease.
However, non-index crimes such as possession of drug and firearms, direct assault, illegal gambling, illegal logging, illegal fishing, and cybercrimes increased by 4.68% with 3,375 incidents recorded, or 158 incidents higher than that of last year.
Public safety index crimes were at 1,456 incidents showing a decrease of 621 incidents as compared to last year’s 2,077 incidents.
These crimes include vehicular incidents resulting in homicide, physical injury, and damage to property.
Tacloban City Police Office (TCPO) records the biggest improvement with total recorded crimes of 152 this year from last year’s 294.