MARIVELES, Bataan – The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) under the initiative of the Authority of the Freeport Area of Bataan (AFAB) has granted the freeport workers here about PHP25 million in cash assistance.
AFAB information officer Hazel Keith Elloren said in an interview on Monday that the DSWD’s program assistance to individuals in crisis situation (AICS) under AFAB’s “FABayanihan” project has benefited 8,339 workers in the former Bataan Export Processing Zone turned Bataan Economic Zone.
She said the grant of PHP3,000 to each worker was made in coordination with the offices of Bataan Second District Rep. Jose Enrique Garcia III and Senator Lawrence Christopher “Bong” Go.
The latest payout from June 17-18 involving PHP5 million for 1,672 workers was made when this province was placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).
Elloren said this posed a problem but after seeking permission from the local government, the cash distribution went on smoothly.
From modified general community quarantine (MGCQ), President Rodrigo Duterte last week placed Bataan under the stricter MECQ from June 16-30 upon recommendation of the national Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) due to a spike in cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
AFAB has strictly implemented health and safety protocols based on the existing MECQ guidelines.
Elloren said the senior citizens and other residents under the priority groups were provided special booths right at the entrance of the building where the payout was undertaken.
Aside from the cash assistance, the beneficiaries also received from Senator Go grocery packs, food packs, vitamins, face masks and face shields.
The senator also raffled off six bicycles, six tablet computers and four pairs of branded rubber shoes. (PNA)
Credit belongs to : www.pna.gov.ph