Home / Headline / Marcos’ Davos trip vital; no ‘compromise’, says DFA

Marcos’ Davos trip vital; no ‘compromise’, says DFA

No other activities were compromised just so President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. could attend the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland next week.

President Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos Jr. (Photo courtesy of Malacañang)

“There were no other engagement of the President that was compromised,” Foreign Affairs Undersecretary Carlos Sorreta said during a pre-departure briefing on Thursday, Jan. 12.

Sorreta pointed out that the WEF is a good opportunity for the Philippines and so they blocked off five days for the trip.

“It’s a good time to go to Switzerland and attend the WEF. There’s no other thing planned for this window,” he said.

“I know it’s a long trip, we’ll be away for five days, so we had to block that off,” he added.

Marcos’ trip to Davos will be his second foreign trip this year after China. He is expected to make a state visit to Japan in February.

The WEF is the international organization for public-private cooperation which engages political, business, cultural and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.

It was established in 1971 as a not-for-profit foundation and is headquartered in Geneva.

Marcos was invited by Professor Klaus Schwab, the founder and executive chairman of the WEF, when they met at the 40th and 41st Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit and related summits in Cambodia last year.

The President confirmed in December last year that he has accepted the invitation and will make the trip to Davos. — Betheena Unite

*****
Credit belongs to : www.mb.com.ph

Check Also

Canada’s newspapers are being plundered by monopoly capitalism

What matters is the newspaper’s purpose — providing accurate information to help an informed citizenry …